There’s still a raging debate on online forums amongst solopreneurs as to whether you need an ezine, a blog, or both, with questions like,
“I currently publish an ezine and a blog, but I’m thinking of dropping the ezine and going with just the blog.”
My answer… you need both!
And here’s why:
Creating a blog post is much easier to do than going down the whole ezine publication route; however, as you do not know who is reading your blog you cannot begin to build a relationship with the reader in the same way you can when publishing an ezine. Therefore you are missing out on building the like, know, and trust factor that is so important for a solo service business owner.
That said, a blog is also an essential online communication tool simply because there are some people who do not wish to subscribe to a regular newsletter, but will subscribe to a blog’s RSS Feed.
RSS Feed? Put simply, anyone can come along to your blog, and subscribe to your RSS feed thereby receiving any blog posts that you submit as soon as you submit them. By not publishing a blog you are missing out on this whole other target market reach.
My preferred tool for blogging is WordPress and I’ve been using this for the past three years. The main reason I use it is because it’s hosted on my website so each time I post to my blog, I’m creating fresh content for my website, which the search engines love, and all of this goes towards improving my search engine rankings.
A blog allows you to interact with your target market as readers can leave comments. However, it can be much harder to develop a relationship with your blog reader as your post is not delivered directly to their inbox as with an ezine subscriber.
So let’s just take a look at some of the pros/cons of a blog vs. a newsletter:
* You can really show off your expertise by posting on a regular basis.
* Blog posts don’t need to be very long – approx. 200-350 words.
* If you have some important information to share, you can instantly create a post – no waiting for your next newsletter to make your announcement!
* If you use a blogging platform such as WordPress, this is hosted on your website. Each time you post to your blog you are creating fresh content for your website, which the search engines love!
* You need to post regularly – at least once a week – in order for this marketing strategy to work.
* You need to feel confident that you will be able to write fresh content regularly.
* It can be difficult to build a direct relationship with your reader.
When And How Often To Post https://www.alexandremthefrenchy.com/
Now, this can be a dilemma. It’s important that you post to your blog regularly in order to provide fresh content to the search engines; some experts say you should be posting at least two to three times a week!
Now that’s a big commitment if you’re not really a writer, so here’s what I advise to get your blog going…